Down the Rabbit Hole
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once Upon a Time

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Once Upon a Time Empty Once Upon a Time

Post by JupiterLightning Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:55 pm

Will NBC or ABC win?
NBC's Grimm

ABC's Once Upon a Time

Last edited by JupiterLightning on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Once Upon a Time Empty Re: Once Upon a Time

Post by Destiny's Gate Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:00 am

New shows? Le gasp!
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Quote : A story's birth is a sudden event. The start, a happy accident. The end, the fate for which it's meant. A story that never ends is a cruel thing.

http://www.fanfiction.net/~sailorstar165

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Finally got around to watching these.

Grimm looks more like something I can convince my parents (especially CSI Fan Mom) than Once Upon a Time. Besides, Once Upon a Time is on at the same time as the Simpsons.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Quote : A story's birth is a sudden event. The start, a happy accident. The end, the fate for which it's meant. A story that never ends is a cruel thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 pm

I think Grimm will be better. Once Upon a Time looks like it could get cheesy after awhile, but we'll see.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:31 pm

It all depends how they put it together. Grimm could probably get predictable after a while, too.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:07 pm

So when and where is the Grimm one supposed to be on? I keep seeing adds for Once upon a Time, but none for Grimm.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:08 pm

I don't know. I haven't looked into it lately.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 pm

Grimm comes on October 21st

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Once Upon a Time comes on October 23rd. I think it's getting more hype than Grimm is.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:37 pm

Oh yes. Definitely. There's a billboard I pass every time I drive to school for Once Upon a Time and I haven't seen anything but what you posted for Grimm.

I'd rather see Grimm, though. Once Upon A Time is on same time as Simpsons, so automatically I won't be watching. XD And Grimm looks like more fun in my opinion.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Yeah. I'll give both of them a shot since they're really the only new fantasy shows out.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Ditto. And it's not PanAir. XD
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon922 Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:33 am

Fantasy shows? No, no one wants fantasy shows. We need to revisit the 50's and think about how wonderful things were back then. That is a much better escape from reality and the crushing realizations of how bad some things are than a wonderfully done plot line in a world that we might fantasize about. No, we really need to be reminded of how women should be objectified and not really have any choices in life.

But of course, all kidding aside, it seems that the good fantasy writers in hollywood have been fired. "Fantasy" movies are 9 times out of 10 just books translated poorly to the silver screen, but even setting movies aside, Grimm is probably the first original fantasy sort of premise that we have seen in a long time and its not even getting any press. Whoever is in charge of entertainment needs to step aside and let some real writers create some real entertainment.

Like this: Flip
dragon922
dragon922
Co-Conspirallama

Quote : Fly free and know that you're thoughts are the only weight you bear.

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Grimm definitely looks like a great modern fantasy show, and I have high hopes for it considering some who worked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel are involved with it.

There's actually a good show on HBO called Game of Thrones and it's based off of books. I haven't read the books yet, but I heard it is a great adaptation and the cast is very good. However, it's really raunchy at times to the point where it's too much and that's what bothers me about the show.

I just hope that Grimm isn't all about the gore, like a lot of the crime scene shows have gotten the last few years. My grandmother was a big Criminal Minds fan, but she actually told me on the phone over the weekend how gross the show has gotten lately.

I just want a good fantasy show with a little bit of everything that doesn't focus on one thing constantly whether it be sex or violence or even romance. I've noticed a lot of love triangles in a lot of shows lately as well and that's getting tiresome, too.

... /end rant

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:35 pm

@ Dragon: Actually, from what I've seen, it looks like an adult "Fairy-Tale Detectives" XD
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon922 Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:39 pm

@Jupiter: I got to see some of the game of thrones show when we got an HBO preview weekend over the summer. I had the time and the resources to watch the whole first season, but I stopped because I did not quite enjoy what HBO was doing with a book series I love. It's a pretty mature series to begin with, but in true HBO fashion they took things any way they wanted and added even more raunchiness for no reason when the books had plenty of it already for perfectly good plot reasons.

@Destiny: In this day and age, the best thing we can ask for in "originality" is a new twist on old story. That's why there is always something we can compare things to. Grimm is the first of this vein of premise in a primetime drama slot. I also have high hopes for it because the producers are putting it up for competition with well established shows like Fringe and Supernatural on Friday nights that reach for the same demographic. They must have some great confidence that their premise will be something special if they are willing to compete with two shows that have several thrilling seasons under their belts.
dragon922
dragon922
Co-Conspirallama

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:42 pm

@ Dragon, Aw, it's on Friday? I won't be able to watch it, then. XD Anime Club.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon922 Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:45 pm

Yep, Fridays, soon my DVR is going to be jammed up and confused with a mixture of overlapping cartoons and Scifi/Fantasy drama madness.
dragon922
dragon922
Co-Conspirallama

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:48 pm

I actually need a Friday show since Ghost Whisperer was cancelled.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:37 pm

I watched the pilot of Once Upon a Time and I really enjoyed it. Like most pilots, it starts out slow and seems complicated at first, but I think the last thirty minutes or so sold it for me. It's a great concept and such a refreshing change from all of the cop and crime scene shows out there. The fairy tale land is pretty cheesy, though. I hope the cheese factor isn't as apparent as the show goes along. The most compelling character so far is the Evil Queen. This show is probably going to be one of those shows where the villains are much more interesting to watch than the heroes and heroines.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:01 am

I liked Emma Swan. They portrayed her well, I thought. Usually the woman who gives up her child for adoption is made out to be a horrible person that just wanted to get rid of her mistake. Here they portrayed her as a woman who wanted to give her child the best chance at life she could, since she couldn't provide it. Plus they made her strong and feminine. Smile Not a dude with boobs.

My only hope is that they'll be able to keep this up. Pilots can always be great. It's whether or not the writers can keep the greatness going.

...Hopefully it doesn't end up like Lost. First season was awesome (or so I was told), and then the plot started doing loopdy loops and zig zags and then crashed like their plane.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Yeah. Since writers from Lost are apart of this show, I'm a little worried. The first season was really good of that show, but it became one of those shows where you had to tune in every week in order to follow things all the way through.

I really liked Emma. I just don't like the name for obvious reasons, but at least it's safe to say she won't be like that other Swan we love to hate.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by Destiny's Gate Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:38 pm

*nods in agreement*

When I hear Emma, I think of the Jane Austen book. XD And one of my friends from high school. Both are positive enough associations for me to ignore the last name.
Destiny's Gate
Destiny's Gate
Forum Leader

Back to top Go down

Post by JupiterLightning Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 pm

Once Upon a Time is better than Grimm.

JupiterLightning
Over 9000

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon922 Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:06 am

I am not so sure yet. It seems as though Grimm has a lot stronger of a story barrier to burst through because it is all just the one guy in town. Once Upon a Time is essentially working with two concurrent plots, one of which is pure high fantasy, and that will give it an edge because they can swap between the two whenever the pace in either one lags. I believe the convention is to give a series three episodes before you decides its worth.
dragon922
dragon922
Co-Conspirallama

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next